Restoration & consolidation of Georgian country house, Hertfordshire
A Grade II Listed house in Hertfordshire had been extensively remodelled and repaired, and now returned to a private family home. The house was originally built in 1773 but had been substantially altered over time. The design removes the modern wings and retains the oldest parts of the building, leaving the main body of the house orientated around a courtyard as originally intended. Internally, the original features are retained and the entrance is returned to its original position creating a more natural plan. The new wing is designed to reflect an existing nineteenth century gardener's lodge on the estate. A new stable court in brick and timber-boarding follows the local vernacular and complements the main house.
Designed by Hugh Petter