New Educational Facilities at the British School at Rome
The British School is a centre for advanced British and Commonwealth archaeological, historical and artistic study in Italy. The original building was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens as the British Pavilion at the Rome Exhibition of 1911. The extensions include the multipurpose 140 seat Sainsbury lecture theatre, a 150m sq (1,615ft sq) art gallery, the Packard Library and Reading Room and a new entrance from the piazza. The 220m sq (2,368ft sq) extension to the library wing includes a new loggia and a fully air conditioned basement archive. These works form part of a larger masterplan by ADAM Architecture for the phased renovation and extension of the original building.