Richard Green Gallery Interior
New Bond Street, London
A new art gallery at the heart of London’s West End that provides a new exhibition space for Richard Green Galleries’ twentieth century art. The building has a single-storey, bronze framed shopfront, two principal floors and a plainer attic storey in Portland stone, relating to the existing historic streetscape and retaining the memory of the former buildings on the site. The façade is also an architectural framework for three bas-reliefs by the artist Alexander Stoddart; these pieces illustrate scenes from the Odyssey, chosen as an allegory for the development of Modern art from 1900 to the present day. The building combines classicism with an appropriate modernity, fitting into this famous street whilst maintaining a distinct identity. Winner of Georgian Group 2011 Giles Worsley Award for New Building in Georgian Context and Natural Stone Craft Award 2011 Commendation.